(This page last updated 1200 Sunday 5 July 2020)
What is church doing to respond to Coronavirus?
In the current public health emergency and to save lives, all central gatherings of St. John's and public worship are currently suspended. This will remain so until the Government and Church of England advise that it is absolutely safe to resume meeting together. The Government and our Bishops have issued guidelines for some very limited worship gatherings, but - given the continued health risk such gatherings pose - have asked churches to consider not starting to meet yet. Whilst weddings and funerals are now happening again (with limited numbers) we are still mulling over whether or not we should resume any other public worship. Please bear with us and pray for Rick our vicar and church council as they decide the next steps.
However the life and witness of St. John's goes on! We are still here for God, here for you, in a number of ways:
In prayer: we continue to pray to God the health of our commmunity, our nation and the church. Be part of that every day of the week by going to our Online Worship page!
In service & bringing hope: the work of Christ continues in new ways of worship, prayer, serving our community and sharing the hope Jesus brings. For instance
- using our Cell groups as a network of support for each other and our commmunity
- continuing Sunday worship and Bible teaching, youth and children's activities online or via social media.
- developing new 1-2-1 'virtual' partnerships for friendship, Bible reading and prayer, meeting by telephone or social media
- offering some lockdown resources, like our special Lockdown Walks - 10 local walks for your daily exercise, and 1 more challenging one! You can find them just to the right of this as a download, or click here.
- being part of a local Community Hub offering help from volunteers involving local partners such as SOAR and our local MP, Miriam Cates. If you'd like to be part of that, please let us know using the form below.
How to keep in touch with us, seek or offer help
If you have any questions, have a particular concern or need, or can offer help to others, please use the contact form below - or call 0114 257 0966. We have a good number of volunteers who'd love to help, and you may even want to be one of them!
Hope in time of Coronavirus
To equip us in these weeks of the pandemic, our vicar Rick has recorded three short video messages exploring the difference a faith in Jesus makes, and the sort of people he calls us to be. Scroll down and enjoy them: we hope you will find them encouraging and thought-provoking.
But first, why not hear this message of hope from our friend, evangelist Roger Carswell?
Here is Rick's first Midweek Message: 'How to flourish in anxious times':
This is our second Midweek Message, 'The most practical thing you can do':
Our final Midweek Message, 'What good can a pandemic do?'